Friday, January 18, 2013

This Vermont Musician

There are many people who haven't heard of Rick Redington.    

If you pick up a copy of January's Issue of Cider Magazine you'd wonder to yourself, who is that strong looking man perched upon a cane surrounded by trees? Where is he from? & why is he on the cover? Does he even look like a musician? 

Sixteen years ago as I arrived in Killington I ask myself, 
"self, would I have read the magazine?" 
Would I have been intrigued? Probably. Anyone willing to pose in a Mr. Rogers look alike sweater certainly would be interesting to say the least. 

Well, all those years ago there wasn't a Cider Magazine, & my boyfriend at the time & father of the my only child Zoe & I stumbled into a place at the time called PPeppers. Having had a grand time of fun & convincing ourselves that Vermont was going to be the first big move of all time for either of us, we partied like it was 1999 & stood outside of PPeppers & The Outback Pizza & heard a voice from inside belting out a rendition of a Jerry Garcia song, Sugaree

We looked at each other with much disbelief, as who could possibly be singing that song so WELL? So well infact, 
that it wasn't an option to NOT find out & at the time both of us coming off a the Grateful Dead Train after Jerry's passing, we were both quite judgy over who could actually cover The Man himself. 

That voice was Rick Redington. 

I'd like to share with the world the inspiration that blossomed in one song all those years ago from this man, Rick Redington.

Over the years as I came out to hear him play, I learned how to make a song your own & at the same time give much thanks & credit to the orginal performer.  

Playing with your heart & soul no matter what you choose to play is the fundamental key to any performance. And I don't believe I've ever heard Rick play without his heart & soul. 

IN those days Rick was playing homage to his influences. Stretching through the music of The Grateful Dead to Frank Zappa, to Django Reinhart, he was slowly introducing the World to his own Music. 

What you may not know if you've never heard of him, is that yes, his Music is quite a blessing to the World & one that ranks in the leagues of every Great Performer you've ever listened to. 

Its no lie & neither is it a fabrication or embelishment. 
I've watched this Vermont Made Musician work his ass off for the 16 years I've known him. That doesn't account for all the other years he's been on the Scene.

I've watched him give his heart in song to children in hospitals, to the homeless on holidays, to performances that raise money for theatres (The Paramount), to tributes in honor of catastrophic events, to weddings, to nightclubs, ski resorts, & Festivals. 

His songs are about Life, Love, Marriage, Children, Death, Happy times, Good times & everything in between. 
Just listen for a few beautiful minutes of his song Sweet Life & you will hear everything of which I speak. 
He's been lucky & honored to record with legends like Jorma Kaukonen & Jack Casady, The New Riders Of The Purple Sage's Buddy Cage & David Nelson. 

He's also shared the stage with Joe Walsh, Blue Oyster Cult, The New Riders, Rick Danko, Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule, Cake, April Wine, Mike Keneally(former F.Z. guitarist) and a host of others. Most recently Rick has opened for Hot Tuna, The Wailers, Richie Havens, & The Samples. 
He was even in a Billy Ray Cyrus movie filmed in Rutland Vermont!! Radical Jack! =) 

And so with all of this under his belt, is he a humble man? To know him, yes, you know he's quite humble, & quite amused by the music business & fame, fortune & recognition. 

Me? 
Well, I'm a lucky woman & we are together creating & building The Wild Fern & I play BASS with him & for his Music! 
His encouragement, guidance & support over these years have led me on my own path of music. 
& that my friends, is another Dream come True for me. As well, learning to play Sugaree!!!! 


We also made an album together & with our combined children singing some fun harmonies! 


If you don't have the Album yet or haven't heard of it, Well, here YOU go!!   


This Album also features a fine Drummer, Mr. Blake Gowan (who recently was thrilled to play with Jon Popper on Blues Night;) Walter White on Insane thru the Roof Trumpet! & The New Riders!

If I were you, I'd check it out. Or better yet, come out & HEAR IT! 

So with that, 

Many congratulations for A Job so Well Done by Mr. Rick Redington, born & raised & playing his Music in the Glorious State of Vermont!
Aren't we Lucky?

Stay Tuned for Special Wild Fern Announcements for The Month Of February! 




No comments:

Post a Comment