Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Birthdays, Bread & Curious Reading!

I was born today, January 28, 
43 years ago in a hospital in Findlay, Ohio, around supper time!

Turning 43 is really great & as I get older each year, I observe in myself, liking the ticking of the clock as I roll through life.
Yes, my back hurts (much of the time) & at times its hard to get up! I get tired by the time Sunday night comes around, but overall, I"m enjoying it.
Just enjoying.
It keeps getting better & things look up a lot.

This past weekend at The Wild Fern is a perfect example! 

I began my First Starter for what I hope fuels an Empire of Artisan Breads at The Wild Fern! 

Soon to be eaten & enjoyed by all of you!

I pulled off a Pant Suit for the Party on Saturday at The Wild Fern. No, there's no photo. If you were there then you witnessed. If not, then you weren't there. HA!

I'd like to Thank my Mama for taking care of me all these years! She's a good one that Linda.






And with that, it is a strong desire of mine to take care of Your Bread Needs!

Let's talk Bread, It Matters. 


Reading Suggestions: * "Bread Matters" by Andrew Whitley *      
* "Local Breads"  & "Bread Alone"  by Daniel Leader *

The Wild Fern Community Supported Bakery Idea has had some great feedback & interest & I can't thank all of you enough.

Three Important Benefits of Buying Wild Fern Bread:

1. My Bread contains NONE of the outlawed ingredients found in commercially baked breads.

2. We get to say Hello once a Week =)

3. All Wild Fern Breads are Baked with Luv, King Arthur Flours, Organic When Possible: Sugars, Honey, & Grains, Salt, Yeast, & Extra Luv.

Some curious & interesting facts about Commercial Bread I'd like to share:

* Commercially Baked Bread does not have to have every ingredient listed. 

* azodicarbonamide (ADA) is a pesticide from China that’s added to flour to speed up the bleaching process.
The United Kingdom, Singapore, Australia and most of Europe ban ADA. The FDA and World Health Organization say it’s ok.

*The FDA does not have a definition for the term : "natural"*

* The average list of ingredients in Commercial Breads has 20-25 ingredients. That's 5 TIMES MORE than what you need: flour, water, yeast, salt.

* L-cysteine is a non essential amino acid added to bread dough to speed up industrial processing. 
While some L-cysteine is directly synthesized in laboratories, most of it is extracted from a cheap and abundant natural protein source: human hair. The hair is dissolved in acid and L-cysteine is isolated through a chemical process, then packaged and shipped off to commercial bread producers.

* Much of the L-cysteine comes from China where there’s a history of poor regulation. 



Bromide is a dough conditioner found in most flours as potassium bromate. It replaced potassium iodate starting in the 1960′s because bakers claim it yields dependable results, and it makes the dough more elastic, which can stand up to bread hooks and other commercial baking tools.
Bromate is an endocrine disruptor that competes for the same receptors in the thyroid gland as iodine. Constant ingestion of bromate in your daily bread may eventually create a thyroid hormone imbalance because iodine is needed for thyroid hormone production. It is also implicated in many cancers.
The UK banned bromate in bread in 1990. 
Canada banned bromate in bread in 1994. In 1999, the Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the FDA to prohibit the use of potassium bromate, charging that the FDA had known for years that bromate causes cancer in lab animals. 
* the term "enriched", does not mean whole grain! It means these things were added! & (mandated by the government) – Vitamin B1 (thiamin), Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), Vitamin B3 (niacin), folic acid, and iron.
* In the USA, products labels "organic" can contain 5% non-agricultural substances approved by the USDA. 
As I practice & study The Art & Ritual of Bread Making, I come across these notions that I feel are important to share with my friends, family & passersBy as I bake Bread & convince you to buy from me!
Peace & Luv & Happy Wild Fern Bread Buying or Baking at Home Yourself! 













No comments:

Post a Comment